Living with auto-immune issues can be challenging, to say the least. Especially when you have so many varying symptoms all at once and you don’t know what your body is doing to you. It’s not easy to stay positive when you’re dealing with chronic dis-ease. However, your mindset should be the first thing you need to tackle when dealing with health, and then gradually you will notice lessening of physical symptoms as well.
If you are stuck in a negative mind frame, this can only be detrimental to your healing process by preventing you from feeling well and achieving positive outcomes. Studies have shown that being negative causes depression and stress hormones to rise, increasing risk of heart attack, and of course, impairing immune function which leads to many chronic dis-eases.
Maintaining a positive mindset is key to overcoming many challenges, including chronic illness. It helps you focus on wellness and feelings of empowerment and allows you to stay in control of your thoughts and feelings. Your mind is a very powerful mechanism and if you treat it right, you can conquer anything.
So how do you do this? By choice. It is your choice to believe what you want to believe about yourself and your life. You can choose to be the victim in your story and stay stuck, or you can choose to be the hero of your own journey and do whatever it takes to feel well and improve your life.
When I was first diagnosed with Lupus and struggling with my diagnosis, I sought help from an auto-immune resource centre and I was told that I could keep mourning the person I used to be and think about all the things I can’t do any more, or I could choose to reinvent myself and create a new me and focus on the things I can do. Those words were so powerful for me. It was like a switch inside me was flipped and I decided there and then that my diagnosis was not a death sentence. In fact, it was blessing, because it allowed me to completely reassess my whole life and the way I lived. I made the choice to then do whatever it takes to be the hero of my journey and heal in any way I can.
Below are some of the approaches that I used along the way that helped with my healing mindset:
- Self-compassion and positive self-talk. This was a big one for me. To let go of years of ingrained negative thinking and replace it with self-compassion and feelings of self-love. Boy, was that a long journey! Find what works for you that gives you feelings of empowerment. In other words, do what makes you feel good and ditch everything else! When you notice you are speaking negatively to yourself, catch yourself and replace it with more positive feedback.
- Get in touch with your emotions. It’s important to acknowledge your emotions and what you are feeling. It’s okay to feel sad or angry or afraid of any health challenge. However, it’s important not to wallow in those emotions. Acknowledge them, feel them, and express them and release them in some way.
- Mindfulness. Live in the moment. Enjoy all the little things, because they matter too. Enjoy the birds and the trees, cooking nutritious foods, enjoy giving to yourself. Be fully present and aware of what you are doing and how you are doing it. Mindfulness is a skill and takes practice and once you practice it, you will notice how much it helps to reduce stress, chronic pain, helps you sleep and gives you clarity of mind.
- Nutrition. You need to treat your body like the temple that it is. You only have one body, so use it for good! Rid your diet of toxins and focus on nutrient dense foods. This helps combat any feelings of depression and anxiety and makes you feel better, physically, and mentally.
- People. Invite only positive people and situations in to your life. Avoid anything or anyone that brings you down. Surround yourself with supportive, loving, and caring people who lift you up and only want the best for you. And oh, my goodness, have some fun! Being ill can be a serious business, so invite fun and laughter in to your life every single day. This helps you keep a more positive mindset and helps you with your healing process.
- Gratitude. Practicing gratitude and cultivating feelings of appreciation is a powerful way to positively affect the quality of your life and your well-being. It’s impossible to feel stressed or fearful when you experience gratitude, so practice gratitude daily and you are well on your way to wellness and a good mindset.
If you want different results in your life, you need to start by changing your mindset. It takes practice and patience and the more you persist, the more you will notice positive changes in all areas of your life. It all comes down to you and the choices you make. Decide that you will be the hero of your own journey, and you will be!
Written by Alex Knysh from Natural Progressions Coaching. Alex is a fully qualified Life Coach and Hypnotherapist who helps people reduce stress, anxiety, and chronic pain to live more fuller and healthier lives. After battling years of illness and chronic pain herself, Alex knows first-hand what it’s like to be ill and unable to function normally.
Since becoming a Practitioner of Coaching and Hypnotherapy, Alex has used the techniques she has learned to heal many of her symptoms and overcome many of her health challenges. She is now passionate about helping others improve their mindset to heal and adopt a healthier and happier lifestyle.
You can learn more here: www.naturalprogressionscoaching.com.au or to watch the Beat Lupus Naturally interview with Alex click HERE
Need help getting on track?
Offer: Hypnotherapy sessions for stress, anxiety, and chronic pain
A 3 x sessions package at $90 per session = $270 (Valued at $360)
Quote: “Mindset” to get this great deal!
*Note: Recommended to have at least 3 sessions to get to the core issue and progress with healing*
Call 0406996831 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make your booking.